Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Additionally, I may get commissions for purchases made through other affiliate links in this post.
I’ve already told you that videos are a great way to advertise your Silhouette or Cricut business. If you haven’t gotten my point yet: did you know that online video accounts for 50% of all mobile traffic? This week we’ve looked at two ways to create video slideshows: using Flipagram and Animoto. Today, we are looking at stop motion videos. If you are not familiar with this style of video you’ve probably seen some recipe stop motion videos on social media and didn’t know what they were called. Stop motion videos are types of animation that work by taking many still pictures and playing them together quickly.
Sample Stop Motion Video
Tutorial to Create Your Own Stop Motion Video
To create the stop motion video above, I used an app called Stop Motion. There is a free version and a paid version. If you want to take photos using the app, you can use the free version. If you would like to import images from elsewhere, you will need the paid version. This tutorial uses the paid version. Next, you must have a tripod. You can find several inexpensive tripods through this link on Amazon.
- Write out a plan for your video. Basically, you are going to take several photos that have slight differences to create movement. In my sample video above there are 8 photos of the Silhouette Cameo, 9 photos of the Cricut Explore Air, 10 photos of the Silhouette Curio, 8 photos of the Silhouette Mint, and 14 photos of the text. Below is a look at my camera roll. You’ll see that for each photo, I moved the machines a few inches and took another photo. When played together quickly, it gives the effect of the machines moving across the table.
- Take your pictures. The key is to keep your camera in the exact same spot (use your tripod). I also found it helpful to use a shutter release button which I picked up on Amazon for $6.
- Download and open the Stop Motion app for iOS or Android. You’ll tap the plus sign to create a new video.
- On the left hand side of the screen, tap the plus sign then “Add Images” to import images, or the camera to take pictures using the app.
- Tap each photo to select it. In total, my sample video above used a total of 71 images. The last image (the one with the full text) is repeated many times so that it is readable.
- You can make changes to your movie or add effects, but remember the movie should help your product stand out – not focus on effects. The screenshot below tells you what each button does. I did not add any effects to my sample video, but I did change the speed of the video from “Project Settings”.
- When you are happy with your video, press the arrow in the top left corner. Your movie will pop up, and you will be able to save it. Don’t forget – shorter is better and you’ll need to stay under 15 seconds for Instagram.
Ideas for Your Stop Motion Advertising Video
Vinyl Crafters: Weed something intricate in a video. This can show off the behind the scenes aspect of your business. I would cut the vinyl and tape it to your table or desk. Weed one piece at a time and take a photo after each piece is removed.
Paper Crafters: Assemble a paper craft in a video. This will also show off the behind the scenes side of your business. Again, tape your paper to your table or desk. After you add each paper piece or embellishment, take a photo.
Shipping: It would be easy to make a stop motion video of your packages “walking” out the door or down your driveaway.
Those are just a few ideas, but I can’t wait to see what you come up with! After you create your stop motion video, head back to this post and share a link to your video in the comments with other Silhouette or Cricut crafters.
This post was awesome, huh? Be sure to share it on your favorite social media network by hovering over the image or tapping it on your device: