Skip to Content

How to Get a University or College Crafter’s License

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Additionally, I may get commissions for purchases made through other affiliate links in this post.

College sports are popular, and it’s no surprise that craft business owners want to create and sell products in support of their favorite school. Whether it’s football team gear, a generic college design, or support of your favorite collegiate basketball team – it’s likely that the school has their names and logos trademarked.

I’m sure Cutting for Business readers know that before selling anything with logos, mascots, slogans, or names of your favorite school, you would need to obtain a license.

But, did you know that many universities offer a college crafters license program? Let’s look at licensing information.

How to Get a College Crafter's License for Colleges and Universities in Your Craft Business -

Get Licensed for the NCAA

The NCAA is an acronym for the National Collegiate Athletic Association. This association has over 1,000 colleges and universities in the association and over 100 different athletic conferences. If you aren’t familiar with the NCAA, you might have heard “Division I, Division II, Division III” when talking about colleges.

NCAA Licensing

A license for the NCAA would allow a licensee to use NCAA properties, not individual school properties. You can find more information about NCAA licensing on this page of their website which has a lot of helpful information.

Licensing Agents

Most large colleges and universities use licensing companies to handle their programs. Instead of working with the school to obtain a license, you’d work with a company that has been hired to oversee the program.

The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) and Fanatics are popularly used licensing companies – as you will see below.

Get Licensed for Specific Universities

I’ve compiled a short list of popular universities, along with information and links to their licensing information.

University of Georgia

The University of Georgia provides licensing information on their website. The University uses Fanatics to handle their licensing program.

I found it interesting when reviewing the University of Georgia licensing information that individuals can make cakes/cookies with the University of Georgia trademarks without permission. Additionally, no permission is needed to use the University’s logo on gravestones.

The University of Alabama

The University of Alabama provides licensing information on their website.

The University of Alabama specifically offers a licensing program for crafters. While it prohibits products like apparel, tumbler, and corn hole games, the program makes it affordable to get a maintain a license. Learn more about the Alabama Crafters Licensing program.

Louisiana State University

Louisiana State University offers licensing information on this page of their website.

The Louisiana State University also offers a prominent link to report infringements.

The University of Texas

The University of Texas discloses their licensing information on this page of their website.

The University of Texas allows crafters to get licensed through CLC’s Community Connect. The program has sales limits of 500 products and $2500 in sales per year. Read more about The University of Texas’ crafter information.

Auburn University

Auburn University shares licensing information on their website.

Auburn University offers retail licensing through CLC, artist licensing, cottage food licensing, and crafter licensing. It is worth noting the Auburn University does not grant crafter licenses to create apparel.

University of Kentucky

The University of Kentucky’s licensing is handled through Fanatics. Learn more about their program on their website.

University of Florida

The University of Florida licensing can be obtained through CLC. Learn more about their program on this page of their website.

University of Arkansas

The University of Arkansas offers a crafter’s agreement through CLC. Find out more details about their program in this section of their website.

The Crafter’s Program limits sales to 500 units or $2500 in sales per year. Decals and apparel are not permitted in the program.

University of South Carolina

The University of South Carolina offers product licensing through CLC.

The University also offers a crafter’s license. From information on their website, it looks like the license is handled in house. This page of their website offers an email address to contact, along with required information.

The University of South Carolina’s crafter’s license prohibits apparel, drinkware, machine embroidery, decals, tailgate games, and consumables.

The University of Tennessee

The University of Tennessee’s licensing is handled through CLC.

The University of Tennessee extends licenses to crafters through their College Crafter Program. The College Crafter Program excludes apparel, cornhole boards, keychains, decals, hats, hitch covers, tumblers, and digital downloads.

An application for the College Crafter Program is available on their website, along with more details about the program.

Florida State University

Florida State University’s licensing is handled by CLC.

Florida State University offers a crafter’s license through the CLC’s Community Connect program. You can find more information on the University’s FAQ page.

Notre Dame

Notre Dame’s licensing is handled through Fanatics.

This page on their website has a limited amount of information about licensing Notre Dame properties.

Texas A&M University

Texas A&M University’s licensing is handled through CLC.

However, it appears that the Brand Development team handles requests for “Small Operations and Individuals’. This page lists more information about the application.

University of Oklahoma

The University of Oklahoma licenses are handled through CLC.

The University offers crafters a license through CLC’s Community Connect program. Apparel products, stainless steel products, and headwear products are excluded in this program.

In contrast to other CLC Community Connect programs, the limits are slightly higher. The University of Oklahoma allows sales of up to 500 products a year or $3000.

University of Nebraska

The University of Nebraska handles licensing through CLC.

The University of Nebraska offers a Crafters License Program for crafters that live in the state of Nebraska. Full information on their program can be found in this section of their website.

Certain products are not available under the Crafters License Program. They include: Apparel, headwear, drinkware, tailgate games, decals, digital downloads, consumables, and products used on or in the body.

North Carolina State University

CLC handles the licensing for North Carolina State University.

North Carolina State University offers a Crafters License to residents of North Carolina. Read more about the their Crafters License.

Silk screened t-shirts and cornhole boards are prohibited in the program.

Unlike other school licensing programs, North Carolina State offers a flat licensing fee for sales up to $1500. After $1500 in sales, a royalty fee of 10% of sales is applicable.

Boise State University

Licensing for Boise State University is managed through CLC.

Boise State University offers a crafters license with limits of 500 units or $2500 per year.

This page has a link to an email address to apply for and learn more about the program.

University of Idaho

The University of Idaho uses CLC for brand licensing.

The University of Idaho offers a Crafters License for those in the state of Idaho or Whitman County, Washington.

I found it interesting that the University of Idaho offers both a year long license and a 3 month license that only covers the months of October to December. This seems perfect for seasonal sellers who only sell at holiday craft fairs and markets.

To apply for the crafters license, send an email to the contact listed on this University of Idaho page.

How to Find Licensing Information for Colleges and Universities Not Listed Above

With thousands of colleges and universities, I can not possibly list all of the licensing information above. I did list schools that Cutting for Business readers have previously asked about, as well as schools that I know that have programs for crafters.

If you are looking for information on licensing for a specific school, trying searching Google using “product licensing information + (name of school)”. If you are really stuck, leave me a comment below. If I have a few extra minutes, I’ll see what information I can find for you.

What Happens if You Sell Products Without a License?

If you do not obtain a license, the trademark owner can take legal action against you, your business, or your shop. Trademark owners often have large legal teams that small business owners cannot afford to stand up against.

It is in the best interest of your craft business to not sell trademark infringing products.


Wednesday 21st of June 2023

Hi! I'm new here. I make solid-color earrings in team colors. I do not use any logo, likeness, images, or words on my products. My question is can I use the names of the schools or mascots in my Etsy listing titles and tags? Like "UGA" and "Go Dawgs". I haven't been able to tell from my research so far. Thanks!

Christine Schinagl, Cutting for Business

Thursday 7th of September 2023

Generally, no. Most college names and slogans are trademarked.

Tanya L

Thursday 11th of May 2023

Hello! I wanted to know if you knew if Alabama A & M and Alabama State have any crafter licenses. I couldn't find anything online about it or even on the college's website. Thank you in advance.

Christine Schinagl, Cutting for Business

Monday 15th of May 2023

Hello! You can find information on licensing in the Alabama A&M Style Guide: It lists contact information that you can use to find out if they have a crafter's licenses/program.

Alabama State licensing information is available at:

Hope this helps, Christine


Wednesday 3rd of May 2023

I am looking into The University of Georgia and all I can find is their retail license. The application fee is $500 which is way more expensive than other universities that have a crafters license program.

Christine Schinagl, Cutting for Business

Wednesday 3rd of May 2023

Hi Michelle! I think that sounds right. I know The University of Georgia is linked above. I do not believe they have an official crafter's license, so you'd need to apply through the retail application.


Saturday 15th of April 2023

Hello i was looking for information about using wichita state universities logo and mascot for crafting bit i cant find any info

Christine Schinagl, Cutting for Business

Monday 17th of April 2023

Hello Luis! It looks like licensing for Wichita State University is handled through CLC. Head to this page (, then scroll all the way to the bottom.

Corey Graham

Tuesday 11th of April 2023

Is there one place to determine if your college requires a crafter license? The school in question is a service academy called United States Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point NY.


Christine Schinagl, Cutting for Business

Tuesday 11th of April 2023

Hi Corey, No one place is going to list colleges and universities offering crafter's licenses - simply because they use different agents. If you are looking for licensing requirements or an application for the school you listed - you might want to start your research with the Marines. If this school is covered by the Marine Corps, they offer licensing for small businesses: