Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Additionally, I may get commissions for purchases made through other affiliate links in this post.
Design with Me is a new regular feature on Cutting for Business! Each Friday, I’ll bring you a new Silhouette Studio tutorial featuring how to design an SVG.
My favorite cold weather activity when I was a kid was building snowmen. Of course, I rolled the snow into a ball, added rocks for eyes and a mouth, and topped it off with a carrot nose.
Today, let’s take a look at how to make a classic snowman face in Silhouette Studio.
About Design with Me Tutorials
Design with Me Tutorials are created with intermediate Silhouette Studio users in mind. It’s helpful to know the basics of designing in Silhouette Studio before starting the tutorials.
All Design with Me tutorials use Silhouette Studio Business Edition. If you do not have Silhouette Studio Business Edition, some tools may not be available in your Silhouette Studio Edition. Get Silhouette Studio Business Edition.
Silhouette Studio Tutorial: Classic Snow Man Faces
- In Silhouette Studio, draw a circle. Hold down the SHIFT key to make it a perfect circle.
2. Use the knife tool to slice off a sliver on every side of circle. Be sure that the knife setting is set to ‘Solid’ instead of ‘Outline’.
3. Delete all the ‘small slivers’. This will leave you with a shape that resembles a rock.
4. Either copy and paste or right click and ‘Duplicate’ the rock shape several times. Resize as needed and move them into place to form two eyes and a mouth.
5. Rotate each rock piece slightly to make them look less uniform. You could also slightly resize them if you want.
6. Using Flexishapes, create a nose. I think the second shape in the first row makes the perfect carrot shape.
7. To make the carrot look more like a carrot, use the same Flexishape tool to create some smaller shapes. Move them into place around the sides of the carrot.
8. Select all the tiny shapes you made and right click, then ‘Group’ them together.
9. Select both the carrot nose and the group of small triangles and navigate to ‘Object’, then ‘Subtract’ to subtract them from the larger shape.
10. Add color to your design. My completed design looks like this:
That’s it! Your snowman face is ready to go!
Don’t Forget to Save!
To save your new SVG creation, head to ‘File’, ‘Save As’, ‘Save to Hard Drive’, name the file, then select ‘SVG’ from the dropdown menu.
Want More SVG Tutorials?
View more Design with Me SVG tutorials.
Since 2015, Christine Schinagl has been helping crafters start and run craft businesses through her blog, Cutting for Business. As a Silhouette and Cricut crafter herself, she has a unique take on what works and what doesn’t work in the craft business world. She also teaches a course on creating digital SVG designs, available at How to Design SVGs.