By now, if you’ve been following along the blog so far, you’ve probably chosen a business name, started selling your Silhouette Cameo made products on Etsy, a Facebook Business Page, Instagram, or locally. Even if you’re an experienced seller, it’s a good time to take a look at your business image. As an avid buyer of custom made products, I see small business owners collecting orders through their personal email, a email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or referring buyers to their storenamehere.etsy.com store. With an investment of about $15 and about 15 minutes of your time, you can give yourself a more professional, cohesive business image by following these steps:
1) Purchase a domain name. A domain name is your website address. For example, my domain name is cuttingforbusiness.com. Even if you don’t have plans to set up your own website right now, I suggest buying a domain name. If you already have a store through a marketplace (like Etsy) or if you only sell on social media, you can have your domain name forward to your existing store or page.
2) Set up an email address at your domain name. For example, my email address is email@example.com.
- Beginner tip: Domains are purchased through domain registrars. My favorite registrar is GoDaddy.com, and I’ve used them for 15+ years without problems. If I’ve ever had questions, their support team is quick to respond.
Step-by-step guide to set up your domain and add an email account at GoDaddy:
1) Click here to open GoDaddy and search for your new domain name. Cutting for Business is an affiliate of GoDaddy, and by clicking the link you’ll be able to purchase a domain for only $0.99 (regularly about $10)!
2) Enter your domain name. It may take you several attempts to find one that isn’t taken. Click the “Add” button once you find your domain, and then “Continue to Cart”.
3) Once in the cart, switch the “Term” (highlighted with a red box in the image below) to 1 year, and your total will be $0.99.
4) Click “Proceed to Checkout” and fill in your billing details, then check out.
5) Add email to your account by clicking “Email and Tools” along the top. The cheapest email service is $4.99 per month, but well worth it to help brand your cutting business and create a more professional image for your customers. Popular email addresses for small businesses are firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
6) Optional: If you already have an Etsy Shop, a Facebook Business Page, or anywhere else you regularly list products on the internet, you can make your new domain name go straight to your store by forwarding it. Here’s how: Click “My Account”, then “Manage Domains”. Select your domain from the list, then click “Manage” next to forwarding. Next, click “Add Forwarding”, and enter where you would like your new domain name to point to. Leave all other settings as is, and click “Add”.
Congratulations on taking the first steps to create a more professional business image for your cutting business. Don’t forget to post your new domain name on your existing social media accounts and update your business address with your domain and dedicated email address.
Save this post to Pinterest: