Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Additionally, I may get commissions for purchases made through other affiliate links in this post.
Etsy is rolling out the Etsy Purchase Protection program, which officially starts August 1, 2022.
What is the Etsy Purchase Protection Program?
If your buyer doesn’t receive their order or it arrives damaged* or a buyer claims it is different from the listing description and photos, Etsy will refund buyers (and you’ll keep the money from the order). The Purchase Protection Program is good for orders up to $250 and includes shipping and taxes.
*Etsy states that for damaged items, Etsy Purchase Protection will cover the first damaged item case beginning August 1, 2022 and only once per calendar year after.
How Can Your Orders Qualify?
To be eligible for Etsy Purchase Protection, your order must meet all the following criteria:
- Have a valid tracking number.
- Use Etsy Payments.
- Ship the order to the address on Etsy.
- Ensure that the item was packaged carefully.
- Have an Estimated Delivery Date in your listing, and ship within the timeframe.
- Fill out all Shop Policies in your Etsy Shop.
- Have an account in good standing.
The Fine Print
The fine print of the Purchase Protection Program highlight a few important things to know:
- Etsy states: “Sellers are responsible for refunding costs for orders that fall outside of these requirements, are over the $250 threshold (including shipping & taxes), or are damaged in transit following the first case covered by Etsy.”
- Etsy also states: “If a seller has obtained third party insurance, or has carrier, and/or payment processor coverage, we ask that they first submit a claim to their primary coverage.”
Since 2015, Christine Schinagl has been helping crafters start and run craft businesses through her blog, Cutting for Business. As a Silhouette and Cricut crafter herself, she has a unique take on what works and what doesn’t work in the craft business world. She also teaches a course on creating digital SVG designs, available at How to Design SVGs.