Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Additionally, I may get commissions for purchases made through other affiliate links in this post.
ChatGPT has taken the internet by storm in the last few months. I’ve been playing with it for a while now and I am finally confident to write an article about it.
I recently took some time to explore some of the ways to use ChatGPT in your craft business.
Table of Contents
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence tool created by OpenAI. It is designed to understand natural language input and generate human-like responses to a wide range of prompts and questions. Users can use ChatGPT to answer questions, provide information, or engage in conversations on various topics.
How to Access ChatGPT?
You can access ChatGPT for free on the website.
When Was ChatGPT Released?
ChatGPT (at least the current form of it) was released November 30, 2022. It has taken the internet by storm and, according to CBS, ChatGPT is growing faster than TikTok and averages 13 million unique visitors a day.
10 Ways to Use ChatGPT in Your Craft Business
1. Writing Product Descriptions
- Writing product descriptions. If you are stuck on writing a product description for a particular product, head to ChatGPT for help.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Write a product description for a 20 ounce epoxied tumbler with blue and green glitter”
- ChatGPT response: “Introducing our stunning 20-ounce epoxied tumbler, designed to impress and elevate your drinking experience! This gorgeous tumbler features a mesmerizing combination of blue and green glitter, creating a sparkling, one-of-a-kind aesthetic that’s sure to catch everyone’s eye.
Crafted from high-quality, durable materials, this tumbler is built to last and can withstand regular use. The epoxy coating adds an extra layer of protection, ensuring that the glitter stays in place and won’t flake or peel off over time. Plus, the 20-ounce size is perfect for holding your favorite cold beverages, keeping them refreshingly chilled for longer.
Whether you’re sipping on a cool drink by the pool or enjoying a hot beverage on a chilly day, this tumbler is the perfect companion. Its sleek, smooth design makes it comfortable to hold and easy to grip, while the secure lid ensures that your drink stays put, even if you’re on the go.
So if you’re looking for a stylish and practical way to upgrade your drinking experience, our 20-ounce epoxied tumbler with blue and green glitter is the perfect choice. Order yours today and get ready to sip in style!”
2. Getting Inspiration to Create
- Getting inspiration to create. Let’s say you are looking to create a new t-shirt line of funny Christmas shirts. You can use ChatGPT to give you ideas.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Write a list of funny Christmas t-shirt sayings.”
- ChatGPT response:
- “All I want for Christmas is a nap.”
- “I’m on the naughty list and I regret nothing.”
- “Merry Christmas Ya Filthy Animal” (a reference to Home Alone movie)
- “Dear Santa, I can explain…”
- “I’m just here for the cookies.”
- “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, but if the white runs out, I’ll drink the red.”
- “I’m the reason we can’t have nice things (especially during Christmas).”
- “Sleigh all day.”
- “This is my Christmas Pajama Shirt.”
- “Bah Humbug (with a picture of a grumpy cat).”
- “I’m not Santa, but you can sit on my lap.”
- “I’m not short, I’m Elf-sized.”
- “It’s all fun and games until Santa checks the naughty list.”
- “Christmas calories don’t count, right?”
- “Let’s get elfed up!”
- “I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right about Christmas.”
- “I put the ‘ho ho ho’ in holidays.”
- “I’m not lazy, I’m just conserving my energy for Christmas.”
- “Santa’s not the only one coming to town.”
- “I’m only a morning person on Christmas.”
3. Writing Social Media Posts
- Writing social media posts. If you can’t come up with what to say on social media, let ChatGPT help.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Write a Facebook post to tell followers about a 50% off sale for my birthday.”
- ChatGPT response: “Hey everyone! 🎉🎂 Today is my birthday and I wanted to celebrate by offering you all a special gift! 🎁 For a limited time only, I’m having a 50% off sale on all items in my online store! 🛍️🤑
This is the perfect opportunity to grab that item you’ve had your eye on or to try something new at a great discount! Don’t miss out on this amazing birthday sale! 🎈🎉
Thank you all for your continued support and I hope you enjoy this birthday treat! 💖 #BirthdaySale #50PercentOff #LimitedTimeOffer #ShopNow #ThankYouForYourSupport”
4. Brainstorming Hashtags
- Brainstorming hashtags. When you are working on social media marketing, use ChatGPT to brainstorm.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Write a list of hashtags related to custom made stationery.”
- ChatGPT response:
5. Course or Lesson Planning
- Course planning. If you teach classes in your craft business, you can use ChatGPT to help plan your content.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Write an outline for a one hour beginner’s Cricut class.”
- ChatGPT response:
- I. Introduction
A. Welcome and Introductions
B. Overview of Cricut
C. Explanation of the purpose of the class
II. Understanding Cricut Machine
A. Types of Cricut Machines
B. Parts of a Cricut Machine
C. How to setup Cricut Machine
III. Basic Designing in Cricut Design Space
A. Introduction to Cricut Design Space
B. Overview of Design Space interface
C. Basic Design Elements
D. Creating a simple project
IV. Working with Materials and Tools
A. Introduction to Cricut Materials
B. Types of Materials compatible with Cricut
C. Understanding Cutting Mats
D. Understanding Cricut Tools
2. Weeding Tools
3. Scoring Stylus
E. Tips for best results
V. Cutting Your Project
A. Preparing your design for cutting
B. Choosing the right material and tools
C. Loading your material onto the mat
D. Setting up the machine
E. Cutting your project
B. Recap of key points
C. Next Steps
1. Advanced Designing Techniques
2. Additional Materials and Tools
3. Troubleshooting Tips.
- I. Introduction
6. Keyword Planning
- Keyword planning. If you are writing content related to crafting for your craft business, you could look to ChatGPT for help.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Create a list of keywords related to heat presses.”
- ChatGPT response:
- Heat transfer
- T-shirt press
- Vinyl cutting
- Heat platen
- Transfer paper
- Heat-resistant gloves
- Digital timer
- Temperature control
- Swing-away design
- Clamshell press
- Mug press
- Cap press
- Plate press
- Fabric printing
- Heat transfer vinyl
- Iron-on transfers
- Heat press machine
- Heat press accessories
- Heat press designs
7. Creating Surveys
- The next time you need to get feedback from customers, let ChatGPT help you create a survey.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Write a short email survey for customers who attended my Make and Take Craft Event last Friday.”
- ChatGPT response:
- Subject: Feedback Survey for Make and Take Craft Event
- Dear [Customer Name],
- We hope this email finds you well. We would like to take a moment to thank you for attending our Make and Take Craft Event last Friday. We hope that you had an enjoyable and creative experience.
- As part of our commitment to providing the best possible events for our customers, we would appreciate your feedback on your experience. We kindly ask that you take a few moments to complete this short survey. Your responses will help us improve future events and ensure that we continue to meet your expectations.
- How did you hear about the event?
- Social media
- Word of mouth
- In-store promotion
- Other (please specify)
- Did the event meet your expectations?
- How would you rate the quality of the materials provided?
- Very Poor
- Did you feel that the instructions provided were clear and easy to follow?
- Did you complete the craft project during the event?
- Would you attend a similar event in the future?
- Do you have any suggestions for improving future events?
- Thank you in advance for taking the time to complete this survey. Your feedback is important to us and will be used to improve our future events. If you have any additional comments or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly.
- Best regards,
- [Your Name] [Your Business Name]
8. Research Before Buying
- Thinking of purchasing a new tool? Let ChatGPT help you do research before you buy.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Compile a list of pros and cons for the Cricut EasyPress Mini.”
- ChatGPT response: “The Cricut EasyPress Mini is a compact heat press designed for small heat transfer projects such as hats, shoes, and stuffed animals. Here are some of the pros and cons of the Cricut EasyPress Mini:
- Compact and portable: The Cricut EasyPress Mini is small and lightweight, making it easy to transport and store.
- Precise temperature control: The Mini has a temperature range of 205°F to 400°F, allowing for precise temperature control for various types of heat transfers.
- Easy to use: The Mini is straightforward to operate, with an easy-to-read temperature display and simple controls.
- Safety features: The Mini has a safety base to prevent accidental burns, and an auto-shutoff feature that turns off the device after 60 minutes of inactivity.
- Affordable: The Mini is relatively affordable compared to larger heat presses, making it an excellent choice for beginners or those with a tight budget.
- Small pressing surface: The Mini’s small size means that it has a limited pressing surface, making it unsuitable for larger heat transfer projects.
- Limited pressure: The Mini does not offer the same level of pressure as larger heat presses, which can impact the quality of the transfer.
- Limited versatility: The Mini is designed for small, flat surfaces, making it unsuitable for more complex projects such as sleeves or pockets.
- Limited temperature range: While the Mini’s temperature range is precise, it may not be suitable for some types of heat transfers, such as sublimation.
- Long heat-up time: The Mini can take several minutes to reach the desired temperature, which can be frustrating for some users.
9. Scripts for Videos
- If you struggle with what to say in videos, ChatGPT can help you create a script.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Write a script for a 30 second Instagram Reel about heat presses.”
- ChatGPT response:
- Opening shot: Close-up of a heat press machine with steam rising from the top plate.
- Voiceover: Hey guys, have you heard about heat presses? They’re the hottest trend in the world of printing right now.
- Cut to a shot of someone placing a shirt on the bottom plate of the heat press.
- Voiceover: With a heat press, you can easily transfer designs onto t-shirts, hats, bags, and more.
- Cut to a shot of the top plate closing onto the shirt.
- Voiceover: The heat and pressure from the press work together to create a high-quality, long-lasting print.
- Cut to a shot of the top plate opening and the person removing the shirt.
- Voiceover: And the best part? You can create custom designs in just a few minutes!
- Cut to a shot of various finished products.
- Voiceover: Whether you’re starting a business or just want to make personalized gifts, a heat press is the perfect tool for the job.
- Closing shot: Close-up of a finished shirt with a beautiful design and the words “Heat press” in bold letters.
- Voiceover: So what are you waiting for? Get your hands on a heat press today and start creating! #heatpress #customdesigns #DIY
10. Writing Website Content
- If you have a hard time coming up with content for your website pages, ChatGPT might be able to help.
- Prompt I put into ChatGPT: “Write a thank you page for customers to see after they check out. I want to highlight how happy their purchase makes me as a small business owner.”
- ChatGPT response:
- Dear valued customer,
I wanted to take a moment to express my deepest gratitude for your recent purchase. As a small business owner, every sale means the world to me, and I am truly honored that you chose to shop with us.
Your purchase not only supports my business, but it also allows me to continue doing what I love and providing the best possible products and services to all of my customers.
I cannot express enough how grateful I am for your support. Every sale, no matter how big or small, means that I am one step closer to achieving my dreams and goals for this business.
Thank you for choosing to support a small business like mine. I am truly grateful for your trust and loyalty, and I look forward to serving you in the future.
- Dear valued customer,
What are the Limitations of ChatGPT?
As a language model, ChatGPT has several limitations. Some of these limitations include:
- Lack of common sense: While ChatGPT can generate text that appears to make sense, it lacks a true understanding of the world, making it difficult for it to provide contextually appropriate responses.
- Biases: Like any language model, ChatGPT can reflect biases present in the data it was trained on. This means that it may generate responses that reflect stereotypes or systemic biases.
- Inability to handle complex tasks: ChatGPT may struggle with complex tasks that require multi-step reasoning or knowledge from a specific domain.
- Limited creativity: While ChatGPT can generate text that is new and novel, it may struggle to create truly creative or original content.
- Dependence on input: ChatGPT relies heavily on the input it receives from users. If the input is vague or incomplete, ChatGPT may struggle to generate appropriate responses.
- Limited knowledge base: ChatGPT’s knowledge is limited to what it has been trained on and may not have access to the latest information or trends.
It’s important to keep in mind that ChatGPT is a machine learning model and not a human being. As such, it has its own strengths and limitations, and it’s up to users to recognize these limitations and use the model appropriately.
What are the Copyright Implications of ChatGPT?
As an AI language model, ChatGPT is a computer program that generates text based on patterns learned from a large set of text data. The content generated by ChatGPT is not original work, as it is generated using pre-existing data.
Therefore, the copyright implications of ChatGPT depend on the ownership and licensing of the underlying data used to train the model. If the data used to train ChatGPT is in the public domain or licensed under an open license such as Creative Commons, then there may be few copyright implications for the use of ChatGPT. However, if the data used to train ChatGPT is subject to copyright protection, then the use of ChatGPT may raise copyright issues.
It is also worth noting that the use of ChatGPT to generate content that infringes on the copyright of others, such as by reproducing substantial portions of copyrighted works, would likely be considered an infringement of copyright law. As with any tool or technology, it is important to use ChatGPT in a responsible and legal manner.
9 More Ways to Use ChatGPT in Your Craft Business
In the next article, I’m digging deeper into ChatGPT to show you how to phrase prompts for better results. Read 9 More Ways to Use ChatGPT in Your Craft Business.
100 ChatGPT Prompts for Craft Businesses
Need some inspiration to start using ChatGPT? I’ve got a list of 100+ ChatGPT prompts for craft businesses.
So, what do you think of ChatGPT? Will you use it in your craft business? If so, what will you use it for?
Since 2015, Christine Schinagl has been helping crafters start and run craft businesses through her blog, Cutting for Business. As a Silhouette and Cricut crafter herself, she has a unique take on what works and what doesn’t work in the craft business world. She also teaches a course on creating digital SVG designs, available at How to Design SVGs.