Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Additionally, I may get commissions for purchases made through other affiliate links in this post.
An easy way to increase the time you have in your Silhouette Cameo or Cricut small business is to improve the efficiency in your workspace. Recently, I noticed while working on projects, I kept having to get up from my project to retrieve a supply, my camera, etc. So, I set out to fix the lack of efficiency in my workspace. Today, I am challenging you to do the same!
How to Improve the Efficiency in Your Craft Workspace
- Draw a map of your workspace.
- When working on your next projects, draw a line every time you get up to get a supply or reach for something.
- Evaluate the lines and see which ones you can eliminate either by moving supplies you use frequently or rearranging furniture.
Let’s take a look at my efficiency map.
To make it easier to explain, I’ve numbered each section.
- These arrows denote trips to a closet where I store some craft supplies (mostly vinyl).
- A short chest of drawers where I store blank products. My heat press also sits on top of it. I have a tiny craft space and have to walk around the chest to use the heat press.
- The arrows above my desk refer to hanging buckets I have mounted on the wall for small supplies like markers and blades.
- In addition to my desk, I have a second workspace in my craft area. I rarely used the workbench top. Instead, I only use the storage below it.
- This shelf houses all of my machines.
What I learned from my efficiency map:
- I really need to move all the craft supplies into my craft room.
- It’s a pain to walk around the drawers to use the heat press.
- I don’t really need the second workspace in my craft space because it is only being used a storage.
What I did next and my improved workflow:
I moved the workbench out of my space, turned the drawers, and added an additional shelf. You do not have to make a second map, but I did to show you how my efficiency improved with a few simple changes. Look at my improved workflow:
Need inspiration for a teeny tiny craft space? As professional organizers pointed out in this post, go vertical. Here’s a peek at my craft space:
Now, it’s your turn to look at the efficiency in your workspace.
Save this post to Pinterest before you start drawing your map: