Photography week continues! While I’ve mentioned photography backdrops a few times in the week already, let’s look at some specific products and places that make great product photo backgrounds.
6 Background Ideas for Product Photos
- The great outdoors. The light is bright and perfect for taking product photos, so find a natural setting and shoot away. Country settings are great for rustic and farmhouse products, but the concrete of an urban area works well for products with modern or funky themes.
- Photography backdrops. Just like the ones they use in photo studios, you can purchase photo backdrops. I have several and there are pros and cons. Pros: Easy to use, inexpensive, available in several colors and styles. Cons: If you want a large number of backgrounds – you have to buy several, the large size can make them difficult to store, they wrinkle easily and need ironed before each use. Where to buy: Amazon – click here to see options.
- Scrapbook paper. It’s no secret that many Silhouette Cameo and Cricut Explore small business owners use scrapbook paper as photo backgrounds. It’s cheap, readily available, and easy to store. Unfortunately, for larger products – it doesn’t work well. Where to buy: Your local craft store.
- Fabric. If you can’t use scrapbook paper, consider fabric. It’s available in thousands of colors, just don’t forget to iron it before you use it. Where to buy: Fabric.com.
- Poster board. Solid colored poster board is great for taking product photos. Tip: If you want to make your product look like it is floating, simply curve the board and set the product on top. (This style of background is referred to as an infinity background. Your local big box store.
- Shelves, fireplaces, and tables around your house. If your products fit the decor of your home well, stage the product somewhere within your home. Best of all: it’s free!
Ewwww, Skip These
Whatever you decide to do for backgrounds in your product photos steer clear of carpets and beds. No one wants to think that their gorgeous handmade product is on dirty carpet where people walk or in someone’s bed!
Keep it Uniform
Once you decide on a background that works well for your product photos, keep it similar throughout your product line or shop. This not only helps with your brand recognition, but it makes your shop present better.
Tell me in the comments – what do you use for backgrounds in your Silhouette Cameo or Cricut Explore small business?