If you know anything about me beyond the Cutting for Business blog, you know that I am a softie for good fonts. Unfortunately, some of my favorite fonts are not good for cutting designs. This is usually because they are too thin to cut and weed well. Today, let’s look at two ways to thicken fonts and make them easier to cut in Silhouette Studio.
Here’s an example of a font that needs thickened to cut better in Silhouette Studio. If you are curious, this font is called Annabella and you can download it here.
How to Thicken Fonts in Silhouette Studio Using Offsetting
One way to thicken fonts is to use an offset. Here’s how:
- Within Silhouette Studio, navigate to the offset window.
- Select your design and click “Offset”.
- Now, use the slider next to “Distance” to thicken the font. I usually offset by between .01 and .05, depending how thin the font is. Click “Apply” to confirm the change.
- You’ll now drag your newly offset design away from the original text and delete it. You’ll notice your new design is thickened up and will cut better on your Silhouette. (In the photo below, the top is the original and the bottom is the offset design.)
Offsetting is great and commonly used, but I think there is an easier way!
How to Thicken Fonts in Silhouette Studio Using Line Styles
- Starting with the same original design, you’ll navigate to the “Lines Styles” menu.
- This time, all you need to do to thicken your font is change the line thickness.
- When you are ready to cut, first fill the font with a color. Then you’ll choose the “Cut Edge” setting.
There you go – two ways to thicken fonts to make them easier to cut with your Silhouette. Remember, when you know how to work the software better; your small business will save time and do better.
Save this post to Pinterest:
This post may contain affiliate advertising. This means that if you click a link in the post, I may make a commission based on your purchase. The price you pay for the product or service is not higher, and the commissions I earn go to keeping the Cutting for Business publication online. For more information on my advertising and disclosures, see this link.
Additionally, OCLE Enterprises LLC, dba Cutting for Business, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.