Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Additionally, I may get commissions for purchases made through other affiliate links in this post.
If you’ve been on Etsy in the last week or so and made a digital purchase, you might have noticed Etsy gave you the option to send your purchased digital file straight to Printify or Shutterfly.
When I recently checked out with a digital mockup, I was presented an option to send my digital purchase straight to Printify.
FAQ: Etsy’s Test Pilot Program with Printify & Shutterfly
So, what’s this all about? Here is some quick information about Etsy’s pilot test:
- Etsy started this test on October 17th, 2022.
- Select buyers will see this pilot integration with Printify and/or Shutterfly.
- What will buyers see? After checking out with a digital item on Etsy, a small Printify logo will appear on the digital download screen.
- Listings in these four categories may be included in Etsy’s test: Arts & Collectibles > Prints, Photography, or Drawing & Illustration and Home & Living > Home Decor.
- You cannot currently opt in/out of this test.
- There are no costs associated with this test.
What Happens When a Buyer Clicks the Printify Link?
Here is the buyer flow of Etsy’s current pilot test:
- A buyer purchases your digital product on Etsy in one of the categories being tested. On the download page, they will see a link to Printify or Shutterfly. I purchased this Christmas mockup from Laura of Southern Market Design.
2. The buyer clicks the link and is taken to Printify. Printify currently does not show mockups with the product you just purchased. However, in my opinion, it is clear that as a customer – I’ve left Etsy and am now shopping on Printify.
What is the Future of Etsy’s Test Pilot with Printify and Shutterfly?
We currently don’t know where this test program will go… or even if it will even continue after this test. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on it, because I see some pros and cons to this program.
Want to read more information directly from Etsy? It’s an announcement in the Etsy forums.
What do you think of this pilot test? Leave your thoughts in the comments.
Since 2015, Christine Schinagl has been helping crafters start and run craft businesses through her blog, Cutting for Business. As a Silhouette and Cricut crafter herself, she has a unique take on what works and what doesn’t work in the craft business world. She also teaches a course on creating digital SVG designs, available at How to Design SVGs.
Thursday 27th of October 2022
I would definitely like an OPT OUT option! My policies don't allow people to use my designs on POD sites. I don't think I'm liking this idea.