I really like when I see small business owners create their own cut files for use in their businesses. I feel that it gives you an edge over other small business owners because the design is unique. I’ve shared several design tutorials recently, and here’s another. Rather than me give you the cut file, let’s design it together using the tutorial below.
Note: The screenshots in this tutorial use Silhouette Studio version 4. You can download it from Silhouette America, or use whatever version you prefer.
Dinosaur Cut File Design Tutorial
- Find a commercial use dinosaur image. (PNG or JPG file formats will both work great!) For this tutorial, I picked up this image at Vexels.
- Open your image in Silhouette Studio and trace the outer edge.
- Delete the original image.
- Using the text tool, type a short phrase in your favorite font.
- Select the text and ungroup it. This will separate your letters from each other.
- Drag each letter onto your image.
- Select your image and all the letters. Subtract your letters from the image.
- You’ll need to select the inner parts of your letters and group them to the image so you don’t lose them along the way.
That’s it! Your custom designed cut file is ready to cut! Here’s one idea of what you could do with it:
No time to design right now? Download the design at this link.
Wishing you many sales,
If you found this information helpful, pass it to another crafty business owner or business owner-to-be by sharing it on your favorite social media. Sharing it is also a great way to find it when you need it again!