As your business grows, you may want to invest in a label printer to speed up your shipping process and save you money. While the initial investment for the label printer is high, I feel it is a worthwhile purchase. Currently, I’m shipping between 50 and 60 packages per week. I was previously using half sheet labels that I purchased at this link on Amazon. I was going through a lot of labels and printer ink! I recently purchased a Dymo LabelWriter 4XL.
Pros of the Dymo LabelWriter 4XL
- The Dymo LabelWriter 4XL is a thermal printer. This means that it prints on special labels using heat and it doesn’t use any ink! (Talk about savings on ink and wear and tear on my printer!)
- Prints up to 129 labels a minute.
- Prints 4 inch by 6 inch labels, and a variety of other sizes.
- Is compatible with Etsy and Paypal labels.
- It prints in 300 DPI (dots per inch), meaning that the labels are crisp and clear.
Cons of the Dymo LabelWriter 4XL
- Not entirely Mac friendly. Unfortunately, I noticed this when originally shopping for a label printer. I found a lot of complaints online about problems with the Dymo LabelWriter 4XL and Mac computers. Some people did manage to set it up, but most didn’t.
This isn’t a big deal for me, as I do not use Mac.I recently switched over to a Mac and have been able to use the Dymo to print labels using El Capitan on my MacBook (both Etsy and Amazon labels).
- Paypal shipping does not support label writers on Mac.
- You must buy thermal printing labels, and they can be expensive. If you use a generic brand, it voids the warranty on the machine. I’m a rebel and took a chance with these generic labels – everything is great so far.
- This Dymo does not work with UPS labels. This isn’t a deal breaker, as I don’t ship UPS often.
So far, my Dymo LabelWriter 4XL is great. If you use the same label size regularly, be sure to change the default size to that label size. On my computer (Windows 10), I went to “Settings”, “Devices”, “Printers & Scanners”, then Dymo and changed my paper size to 4 inches by 6 inches. It took me a few hours to figure that out. Also, to print labels from Etsy you will need to log in and go to “Your Shop”, “Orders”, “Shipping Labels”, “Options” tab, and finally check the box that says “Format my Labels for 4×6 Label Printers”. This also took me a while to figure out!
Feel free to share this post on social media by hovering over it, then posting it.
*I did not receive this product for free and Dymo did not contact me to write this review.