I’ve had a lot of business owners-to-be ask me how much the typical start up costs are for a Silhouette or Cricut home based business. Today, I’m offering a general list of items to consider if you are starting a business with your die cutting machine. The lists below are general overviews to give you an idea of the things you will need to buy to start your business.
- Silhouette Cameo ($270) or Silhouette Curio ($220) or Cricut ($250)
- Cutting blades (Silhouette $8 each, Cricut $3.50 each)
- Cutting mats (Silhouette: $9 each, Cricut: $6 each)
- General craft supplies
- General office supplies (paper, folders, envelopes, etc.)
- Shipping supplies (tape, label paper, packing materials, boxes, shipping scale – $50)
- Computer and printer – varies greatly
- Silhouette Studio Upgrade (Designer Edition $25 or read more about Business Edition)
- Accounting program (about $15 per month)
- Packaging materials – (about $100)
- Business cards and advertising materials ($50)
- Supply storage – varies ($100)
- Camera – varies greatly
For Adhesive Vinyl Crafters
- Adhesive Vinyl – Purchase in rolls for cheapest pricing. Generally, around $1.30 per yard. You should estimate that you’ll need several colors to begin creating.
- Transfer paper or tape ($35 for an industrial roll)
- Weeding tools ($10)
- Blanks for products ($200)
For Garment Crafters
- Heat transfer vinyl – Purchase in rolls, about $7 per yard – specialty materials cost more. You should estimate that you’ll need several colors to begin creating.
- Heat press – ($225) – It’s a must if you are selling products. Read more about that in this post.
- Weeding tools ($10)
- Blanks for products ($300)
For Scrapbook, Card, Paper Crafters
- Papers – cost varies greatly ($100)
- Paper crafting tools – spatula, paper cutter, glue ($100)
Remember, you may have some of the necessities on hand, especially if you are already crafting as a hobby. Next week, I’ll show you how I started my small business without any debt – and very little cash on hand.
Wishing you many sales,
If you found this information helpful, pass it to another crafty business owner or business owner-to-be by sharing it on your favorite social media. Sharing it is also a great way to find it when you need it again!